Share with your neighbors and double your gift
The Stewards Fund has issued an even bigger challenge to Urban Ministries of Durham this year: If you help us raise $75,000 in eligible contributions between now and May 31, they will match the amount with another $75,000. Our plans to serve hungry and homeless neighbors this year count on receiving these funds. These amounts are eligible:
- The full amount of any gift by a first-time donor
- The full amount of any gift by lapsed donor who gave in the past but not during 2012
- The increased amount of a gift by someone who gave last year but gives even more than that before the deadline
Show your love for friends and family on a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion with a gift that really matters: Sponsor a homeless woman's shelter stay, buy meals for the hungry, or groceries for our Food Pantry.
It works just like most online shopping websites. Browse gifts by category: Feed the Hungry. Help a Family. Shelter a Neighbor in Need. You can spend from $26.50 to $917 or more. You'll learn what it takes to help neighbors in need, and you'll know that the money you spend to honor friends and family will truly do good. We will notify your loved one of your gift. Try it now.
What we're about:
At Urban Ministries of Durham we believe that no one should be without the basic needs of food, clean clothing and a safe place to sleep, regardless of ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or disability.
Every day, we provide food, clothing, shelter, and supportive services for our neighbors in need. UMD plays a critical role in Durham’s continuum of care network as the primary point of entry to homelessness prevention, re-housing and emergency services for a large portion of the area’s homeless and poverty-stricken population.
Our programs are designed to:
- Help prevent homelessness by providing food and clothing to offset living expenses and by referring guests to others in the community who may be able to provide additional help
- Assist those who are homeless by providing emergency shelter, stabilization assistance such as recovery programs and medical referrals, and to help them connect with the resources that will enable them to return to stable housing as quickly as possible
- Foster collaboration with community partners so that coordinated efforts can provide needed longer-term housing and supportive service needs; and
- Offer support with dignity and compassion to neighbors in need, regardless of their ability to leave homelessness at the time.
Who Do We Help?
We assist the recently and chronically homeless as well as those on the verge of homelessness, for whom our support may make the difference in getting them back on their feet. Learn more about the populations served.
How Do We Help?
Urban Ministries of Durham welcomes more than 6,000 people each year who come seeking food, shelter, clothing and supportive services.
We also welcome 2000 volunteers, over 60 communities of faith, groups from every local college and university and many K-12 schools, civic groups and businesses, large and small.
We have 28 staff members, only 19 of whom are full-time.
Together, all of us share in a variety of activities to help one another. We have created a welcoming, caring and compassionate environment where people can heal, find hope and begin to rebuild their lives.
Our programs include:
Community Shelter for men, women, and families who need temporary housing. Comprehensive case management services are available through our Journey Program.
Community Café serves 3 meals a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to shelter guests and anyone else in need of a hot meal.
Food Pantry and Clothing Closet distributes groceries and clothing to the homeless or those at risk of becoming homeless.
Hope-Believe Recovery Program assists homeless adults with substance abuse rehabilitation.
Bread for the Journey is a community of spiritual care and support that welcomes people of all faiths, as well as those not affiliated with any faith tradition during times of hardship.
We invite you to come and Share the Journey with us.
410 Liberty Street, Durham, NC 27701 | (919) 682-0538